The case had caused the death of two children. It is now giving rise to a new judicial inquiry. Investigations into the Buitoni pizza scandal contaminated with bacteria Escherichia coli (E.coli) were entrusted, Thursday, May 12, to an investigating judge, we learned from the Paris prosecutor’s office, confirming information from RMC.
The judicial information was opened in particular for manslaughter against a person, involuntary injuries concerning fourteen people, marketing of a product dangerous to health and endangering others, according to the same source. . A total of 55 children and one adult were infected, possibly following the consumption of Buitoni frozen pizzas, according to health authorities.
A preliminary investigation was already underway, since March 22, at the public health center of the Paris prosecutor’s office, to “cheating on goods, display or sale of corrupt or falsified food products harmful to health, marketing of a product harmful to health, endangering others, involuntary injuries and manslaughters”.
In this context, searches took place on April 13 in the Caudry factory, in the North, where the pizzas of the Fraîch’Up range were manufactured, and at the headquarters of the Nestlé group, in the Hauts-de-Seine. .
Presence of rodents
In February, the health authorities had been alerted by the resurgence of cases of kidney failure in children, linked to contamination by E.coli. On March 18, Nestlé announced the withdrawal of pizzas from the Fraîch’Up range marketed since June 2021, after being informed of the presence of the bacteria in the dough of a product.
On March 30, the health authorities announced that they had established a link between the consumption of these pizzas and several serious cases of contamination before the prefect of the Nord department banned, two days later, the production of pizzas at the Caudry site. .
Inspections had pointed to “the presence of rodents” and the “lack of maintenance and cleaning of manufacturing, storage and transit areas”. Shortcomings which could be the cause of the presence of pathogenic bacteria in the products then marketed.
“There are two children who died from eating pizza. (…) I assure you it is poignant”said Thursday on RMC and BFM-TV the Minister of Health, Olivier Véran, saying to himself ” devastated “ because “absolutely terrible human tragedy” who “should never happen” but “could not be avoided”.
Also listen How to avoid food scandals: Buitoni, Kinder, Lactalis?
#coli #bacteria #Buitoni #pizzas #open #judicial #investigation