A cracked or brittle, yellowed or browned, thick or hardened nail… It is generally easy to spot the symptoms of nail fungus. At first, onychomycosis, its scientific name, is often painless. But as the infection grows, it can be so painful that it can be difficult to wear shoes. In the following phases, the fungal disease may be more resistant to different treatments. But where does it come from? How to get rid of it permanently? And what are the preventions? Answers in the article.
Nail Fungus: Where Do They Come From?
Fungi invisible to the naked eye are solely responsible for nail fungus. There are various ways to be contracted by this fungal disease:
- Skin contact with other people’s personal items, such as towels or nail clippers.
- Skin contact with environments that are fertile for fungi, especially damp areas such as saunas, locker rooms and swimming pool edges.
- Skin contact with a person who has a toenail fungus or a fingernail fungus.
- A fingernail or cracked skin.
- Wearing sweaty shoes or socks.
It is worth noting that anyone can get nail fungus. However, some are more likely to contract it, including:
- Those who have recently undergone an organ transplant.
- Those who suffer from autoimmune or chronic diseases, such as HIV, psoriasis, diabetes or cancer.
- Those with an injured nail or an existing fungal infection.
- Those with poor blood circulation.
- Those who live in a place where the climate is both hot and humid.
- People who are always stressed.
- Those undergoing antibiotic treatment.
- Women who take birth control pills.
Nail fungus: what are the different treatments?
Depending on the severity of the infection, there is an appropriate treatment:
— Mycosis of the nails: natural treatment:
If the case is mild, natural remedies can be an excellent option for curing nail fungus. One of the most effective is the blend of tea tree and wheat germ essential oils. If the infection recurs, we use a potion composed of vegetable oils of the tea tree, lavender, aspic and cedar.
Regarding the dosage, two or three drops of the remedy should be directly applied to the infected part. We repeat the gesture once every day until the mycosis disappears completely. Treatment can take a long time, sometimes it can take up to more than a year.
— Antifungal nail polishes:
This solution is also intended for people with the infection, whose infection is still at the first stage. Recommended antifungal nail polishes include tavaborole, efinaconazole, ciclopirox and amorolfine. Knowing that the last two are the most common against nail fungus and the development of fungi. They follow the same dosage as natural remedies.
— Oral treatments:
If the case is moderate or severe, oral treatments are necessary. It is advisable to combine them with the solutions mentioned above to guarantee great efficiency.
The most common oral medications to prevent nail fungus growth are terbinafine, itraconazole, griseofulvin, and fluconazole. They are proven to be very effective in curing nail fungus. However, they can produce serious side effects like heart and liver failure. This is the reason why the accompaniment of a doctor is necessary during the treatment.
— Nail removal
In case the infected person does not respond positively to other nail fungus treatments, this option becomes necessary. This involves surgically removing the infected nail or applying a product to it to allow it to fall off on its own.
In addition, it is worth pointing out that this treatment technique differs from podiatric treatment, which consists of thinning thick nails. The latter is indeed a solution to improve the aesthetics of the infected area, but also to reduce the quantities of small organisms responsible for mycosis.
— Nail mycosis: laser treatment
Undoubtedly, this is the answer to the question ” How to cure toenail fungus quickly? Indeed, it is a fast treatment, but also safe and effective. It is nevertheless reserved for people who do not wish to lose their nails and who have a tolerance to drugs against mycosis. It is used to apply the laser to the infected area to end the fungus and slow down the development of the infection.
What are the right steps to take to prevent them?
You can avoid being contracted by nail fungus by adopting good daily habits:
- Disinfection of all care accessories (files, nail clippers, etc.) is essential before and after use.
- In case of infection, the underwear worn must be sterilized. You have to boil them.
- Nails should always be clean and kept short.
- Avoid fungus-prone nail polishes.
- After washing your hands or feet, it is crucial to dry yourself thoroughly, remembering the spaces between your fingers and toes.
- You should use a clean towel every day. Avoid using someone else’s.
- Always wear clean socks. Cotton models are preferred.
- Avoid tight shoes and tights.
- Sandals are required in wet areas, especially saunas, steam rooms, swimming pools.
- Adopt a varied diet and favor foods rich in probiotics.
Like our content ?
Receive our latest publications free of charge and directly in your mailbox every day
#Nail #fungus #treatments #preventions